Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Kayaks are no longer allowed at Blydenburgh Lake

kayak suffolk county parks access

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#41 axeman628

axeman628

Banned

• Banned
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 4,005 posts
  • LocationHow did I get here?

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:50 PM

This is the canned email a lot of folks are receiving.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your questions regarding kayak access at Blydenburgh County Park. Up until a few years ago, personal watercraft were never permitted at Blydenburgh. After several requests and careful consideration, the Department agreed to institute a pilot program for two seasons on the North End of the park only to see how implementing access at this location would work. It was decided that the Southern Access to stump pond would remain a rowboat only area which would allow park staff to ensure the safety of park visitors, and for best management of the rowboat rental process.

After the pilot program was complete, the Parks Department evaluated the functionality of this location of a launching site, taking in all the feedback both positive and negative that we had received while this program was in place. Being that this location is within a historic district, and kayakers were having to drag their kayaks down the staircase and through the woods, did not present this location as ideal for either the kayaker or for the preservation of the site. This combined with community outcry with people going in and out of the park before and after dark, it was determined that we would not continue offering kayak access at this location.

The Parks Department does offer various other canoe and Kayak launching sites throughout Suffolk County, including sites around the Smithtown areas. For a complete list, please visit our website at http://www.suffolkco...s/Canoeing.aspx

Emily R. Lauri, Community Relations Director
Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation
P.O. Box 144, Montauk Highway
West Sayville, NY 11796

631-854-4980
631-854-4978 (Fax)
Email: emily.lauri@suffolkcountyny.gov

My rebuttal:

It was my understanding after my call yesterday that there would be additional conversations and open dialogue concerning the use of the park and Kayak access. It seems many concerned folks are getting the same canned response and I would like to address it because frankly it doesn't hold water.

Your response to inquiries thus far:
After the pilot program was complete, the Parks Department evaluated the functionality of this location of a launching site, taking in all the feedback both positive and negative that we had received while this program was in place. Being that this location is within a historic district, and kayakers were having to drag their kayaks down the staircase and through the woods, did not present this location as ideal for either the kayaker or for the preservation of the site. This combined with community outcry with people going in and out of the park before and after dark, it was determined that we would not continue offering kayak access at this location.Emily R. Lauri, Community Relations Director :

Many of the issues that are outlined can be addressed immediately if you allow us to use the main entrance of the park and allow us a small area to launch. As far as the "community outcry" The only way you are going to keep people out of the that side of the park after dark is to close that back gate which is always open and has been for years. In addition I find it hard to believe that everyone in the park after or before hours has a kayak on the roof of their car. The hill Kayakers roll their carts down on wheels and causes far less wear then the horse's that traverse it. In addition the boats you rent have propellers and do far more damage to the environment then a paddle.

Is there an opportunity to have a meaningful conversation to discuss alternatives? I would make myself available at your request.

Yup, that's the one. Word for word. How do we remind our "representative" (note the quotes...) that they work for us. You would think that for all the tax dollars we pay we would have some access to them instead of getting a auto reply from a community relations director (again, thought an elected official was community relations, smh)

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#42 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:58 PM

Good thing I live North of Jericho tpk in the snobby part of town :P We did have someone trying to launch a kayak off one of the mansions on the Nissy but Mick Foley chased him off.

Seriously though, as a local who wanted to get into kayaking this year (I drive by carloads of kayaks all the time living by the Nissy) I'll look into this.

There's still a lot of places to launch around here and in the summer driving down St. Johnlands for instance you see trailer loads going back and forth. Hey, got try scouting a spot for duck hunting in Nissequogue and have a chat with the private police if you want to feel more restrictions.

Theres a kayak rental company that starts at Jericho by the bull and you paddle the Nissy all the way out to the bluffs, where they pick you up and bring you back to your car. Or at least there used to be, very long time since I did it.

Edited by BillyBonds, June 19 2015 - 01:00 PM.

• LongIsland Guy likes this

#43 mattj

mattj

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 944 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 01:02 PM

Its not even that bad. Im down there almost once a week during fishing season. If that rear lot has 10 cars in it, thats a lot. So figure half might be fishing. And less than half of those have kayaks.

These people are crazy. Thats like the few residences on middle country complaining about too many people trying to get to smith haven mall.

Eta. I was telling my brother about this and he was saying that there was a tournament held there the other day. Anyone know about this? I think he said people had their own boats out, not positive. So i guess like anything else, if theres enough money to be made, heads can be turned.
  • COLLECTINGHEADS likes this

#44 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 01:13 PM

Its not even that bad. Im down there almost once a week during fishing season. If that rear lot has 10 cars in it, thats a lot. So figure half might be fishing. And less than half of those have kayaks.

These people are crazy. Thats like the few residences on middle country complaining about too many people trying to get to smith haven mall.

Eta. I was telling my brother about this and he was saying that there was a tournament held there the other day. Anyone know about this? I think he said people had their own boats out, not positive. So i guess like anything else, if theres enough money to be made, heads can be turned.

The LI Bassmasters have 2 tournaments there a year and they allow them to bring in boats etc. I am sure they make them get a permit Not sure what will happen to them going forward.

#45 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, maybe we should have an LIF picnic in the park 7 nights a week until kayak privileges are restored.

Occupy Blydenburgh Lake!

Oh wait. we're not liberals and actually either have to work or aren't paid by some union or communist organization to protest.
Nevermind.
  • pequa1, Tonto, Flagg888 and 3 others like this

#46 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 02:38 PM

LAst update I received..., all respondents are civil and polite! I’m still waiting for a call back from Greg Dawson who was out of the office. I requested both a meeting and the same standard for kayakers that is held at Southhaven Park. I’ll let you know! Have a great weekend!

Leslie Kennedy

Note.. Southhaven Park rents boats and offers Kayaks a place to launch for 3 dollar fee.

#47 Lazygent

Lazygent

1000th member

• Donated Member
  • 1,197 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 03:24 PM

I'am getting so tired of this land of no....
  • Aquabach likes this

#48 mason852

mason852

Still a David Crockett kid

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,702 posts
  • Locationridge

Posted June 19 2015 - 03:30 PM

I went walking the trails there last year.
When we went to the main gate there is a sign with so many restrictions I started laughing.
When i paid my fee, (Got to have a fee in New York, it's not like I pay a boatload or a kayak load of taxes already now is it)
I asked the lady if it was okay if we were allowed to wear sunglasses.
I didn't see that as one of the rules and i didn't want to break any of them.
I also suggested they were going to need a new sign to put all the Land of No, restrictions on .

She was a good sport and laughed and actually said something like, " I know! It's ridiculous isn't it?"
Yes. Yes it is.

Yes but you were photographed and reported

#49 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 04:12 PM

Yes but you were photographed and reported

No doubt!

#50 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 04:21 PM

I got a polite reply from Leslie.
I give her credit for not sending a vague response.
Perhaps a solution can be found.

Email:
Aquabach,
I did not ban kayaking, in fact, I love kayaking!
Kayaking was started as a pilot project 2 years ago at Blydenburgh by Parks.
There were numerous complaints of people parking their cars on the grass, parking on the flowers, hitting the sign and light pole and using the park before and after park hours. After 1 ½ years of neighborhood complaints, the pilot was closed by parks.

I just got off the phone with the Park’s Commissioner and literally begged for an alternative.
He has assured me that the parks folks would meet next week to discuss this issue.
I am hopeful that they will be able to come up with a solution!
And no, once this is resolved, anyone is welcome! It is a public park!!
Thank you for your patience and hopefully there will be a positive resolve by Parks soon.
Leslie
  • cu455 likes this

#51 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,115 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted June 19 2015 - 04:35 PM

I'am getting so tired of this land of no....

Says everyone until it's in their backyard.

Look to play devil's advocate how many threads do we get about neighborhood problems and trying to restrict other people when it suits us...I know I know it's the the way it is... I'm still mad I can't put a shed on the side of my house even though we have few hundred feet of frontage and tree cover but town code and all. hey it's still better than the incorporated village across the river....

#52 cu455

cu455

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 1,751 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 04:39 PM

This part made me smile.

#53 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 04:39 PM

Says everyone until it's in their backyard.

Look to play devil's advocate how many threads do we get about neighborhood problems and trying to restrict other people when it suits us...I know I know it's the the way it is... I'm still mad I can't put a shed on the side of my house even though we have few hundred feet of frontage and tree cover but town code and all. hey it's still better than the incorporated village across the river....

No on's saying there should be no rules but New York state has more regulations than any other state. Fact.
Of course the more populated an area the more restrictions i can understand but kayaking?
They ban things whenever someone does something inappropriate. Like guns for example.
In this guess if we take them at their word people parked illegally and damaged area.
Then punish them!
Fine them, charge them, but banning everything is not the answer.

#54 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 04:42 PM

This part made me smile.

Evidently I scared her with my gay black kayaking friend.
Imagine if I also said he was also a transgendered illegal alien that was mentally challenged!

Edited by Aquabach, June 19 2015 - 04:43 PM.

• li02liberty, LongIsland Guy and Duke like this

#55 boke

boke

Tallest Midget

• Established Member
  • 3,266 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 09:33 PM

Isn't a pwc a motorized craft like a jet ski?
  • Thomtt likes this

#56 Huntington Guy

Huntington Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 9,503 posts
  • LocationHuntington

Posted June 19 2015 - 09:52 PM

Parks policy and rules coming out of the office of the Commish, ok. A Legislator does not have the authority to ban anything though. Short of introducing a resolution, bringing it through committee, holding public hearings, advancing it to the full Legislature for a vote, approving and then being signed by the county exec that is.
Her office may have fielded some of the complaints but if anyone is telling anyone that a Legislator placed a Kayaking ban on a county park they are, umm, misinformed.
Best place to address this is at a meeting of the Parks Committee at the Legislature. Sign in to speak during the public portion and speak yer mind, on the record. Strength in numbers.
  • DarkStorm likes this

#57 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted June 20 2015 - 04:20 PM

Theres a kayak rental company that starts at Jericho by the bull and you paddle the Nissy all the way out to the bluffs, where they pick you up and bring you back to your car. Or at least there used to be, very long time since I did it.

There are one or two companies that still operate there.
The drop off and pickup points alternate with the tide so you don't have to paddle against the current.

#58 Banzai

Banzai

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 2,174 posts

Posted June 20 2015 - 05:08 PM

Imagine if I also said he was also a transgendered illegal alien that was mentally challenged!

Then they'd probably have Princess Cuomo, a newspaper reporter and a TV crew there to present him/her with the first annual "Long Island Mentally Challenged Gay Transgender African-American Who Was Previously Caucasian Kayaker of the Year Against Guns Award".

#59 O1SalsaX

O1SalsaX

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 2,377 posts

Posted June 20 2015 - 05:47 PM

Was there today with the family.
Rented out a rowboat and asked them afterwards about kayaks not being permitted.
They kinda laughed at it but said it was an unenforceable new rule.
She said that if you show up at 4pm, there is no one there to enforce it and even during the day it's unenforceable.
She didn't think it would last or at least be enforced.

They were very nice to deal with and clearly sympathetic so obviously it came from higher-ups.
Best of luck dealing with the BS in getting this reversed.

Edited by O1SalsaX, June 20 2015 - 05:48 PM.

• Aquabach likes this

#60 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted June 20 2015 - 07:01 PM

..then we vote to ban you....... :taunt

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kayak, suffolk county parks, access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users