Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Kayaks are no longer allowed at Blydenburgh Lake

kayak suffolk county parks access

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 ceesman762

ceesman762

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 3,169 posts
  • LocationThe Eye of Terror

Posted June 19 2015 - 08:43 AM

"FUN? NO MORE FUN FOR YOU!"
  • Aquabach and COLLECTINGHEADS like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#22 LongIsland Guy

LongIsland Guy

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 3,329 posts
  • LocationLake Ronk

Posted June 19 2015 - 08:44 AM

I sent an email to Ms. Kennedy, hope that helps and hope others do also whether you use the lake or not.......
  • COLLECTINGHEADS likes this

#23 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 08:44 AM

I went walking the trails there last year.
When we went to the main gate there is a sign with so many restrictions I started laughing.
When i paid my fee, (Got to have a fee in New York, it's not like I pay a boatload or a kayak load of taxes already now is it)
I asked the lady if it was okay if we were allowed to wear sunglasses.
I didn't see that as one of the rules and i didn't want to break any of them.
I also suggested they were going to need a new sign to put all the Land of No, restrictions on .

She was a good sport and laughed and actually said something like, " I know! It's ridiculous isn't it?"
Yes. Yes it is.

If you are looking to hike the trail, there is an entrance on Brooksite Drive where you can park and go in for free. It's a nice park and I hike it often with my dog. Never got a tick on either of us there, wish I could say the same for any other park. I cant get within 50 yards of Connetquot without getting ticks and/or chiggers
  • Objectivist likes this

#24 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 08:52 AM

I just received what appears to be a canned response from the department of parks. They claim allowing watercraft was a "pilot program" for two seasons and between having to bring your kayak down the hill and the "community outcry" they decided to not continue kayak access. Both issues would easily be addressed by allowing access through the main entrance. They claim that southern access is rowboat only to maintain safety of visitors and better manage the rowboat rental. Sounds like a lot of bull to me.

Oh, and neither Leslie or Greg responded. It came from Parks Dept. community relations. I thought being a legislator and commissioner implied community relations, guess they can't handle it. Your tax dollars at work.

The "Row boats" they rent have electric engines I guess a prop in the water is safer than a paddle?

#25 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 08:53 AM

Here's my email:

I just heard the ridiculous banning of kayaks at Blydenburgh lake.

Are you people real?

Banning Kayaks?

There's a reason Long island is known as the Land of NO!

How can a kayak be any different from a row boat in terms of noise, or impact on the lake?

There is a very unhealthy knee jerk reaction in government to ban anything that may upset one person.

You should really be striving to increase access and not restrict citizens from enjoying our parks.

I happened to be a white male but I have a black friend who kayaks. He's also gay.

Perhaps we should try to kayak there and then make complaints about this rule being racist and sexual discriminatory. Would that help?

Very Truly yours,

• Barnslayer, 5.56, LongIsland Guy and 5 others like this

#26 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 08:57 AM

are you sure the motivation wasn't to force people to rent rowboats?

Maybe, but the boats are almost always all rented. The most kayaks I have seen on that lake at one time was about 6. It's not like 50 people are showing up with boats.

#27 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 09:00 AM

If you are looking to hike the trail, there is an entrance on Brooksite Drive where you can park and go in for free. It's a nice park and I hike it often with my dog. ..

I don't know the area well.
Is the entrance easy to find?
I looked at a map and it seems that the park juts out and touches brooksite Drive somewhere in the middle closer to the north.
Can you describe it more for me?
Thanks.

blydenbrooksitedrive.png

#28 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 09:09 AM

Thats exactly where the entrance is. If you are heading north on Brooksite from 347, it will obviously be on your left. You will clearly see the area for parking and the entrance through the chain linked fence. The Greenbelt Trail continues south out this gate, so I guess thats why its free. Assuming thats google maps you snapshotted, you will see the greenbelt trail when you zoom in. The parking is just a cleared out little area similar to you see on Vets where the people go into Connetquot.
  • Aquabach likes this

#29 knightofsuffolk

knightofsuffolk

Winter is coming

• Topic Starter
  • Established Member
  • 3,569 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted June 19 2015 - 10:19 AM

Geez, isn't this typical Long Island/NYS BULL$#&@!!
They tax us to death, we get lousy returns on that tax money.
That money pit at the bottom of the Hudson gets plenty though, must make sure they get their rent controlled, can't have the masses paying what they really should for the value of their apartments. The rest of the state can take it in the rear for that.
Our roads are almost un drivable, to the point of actually killing a guy on a motorcycle this year, just from a pothole.
We have to get licenses, fees, permits, easements for everything we could possibly do, with more restrictions and rules
than the tags you can't rip off your pillows.
Our rights are restricted by the unknowing, ideology driven left daily.
Every single week we see story after story of the corrupt politicians, always with BS promises of "reform" that never happens.
And when you try to relax a little and enjoy the outdoors, they find one way after another to slow you down, interfere, restrict anything and any way they possibly can.
God I'm SICK of this, (if you couldn't tell already).
Sorry, ya'll, rant over.
Oh, I'll gladly make a call too.
I'm in just that special kind of mood.

• Flagg888, li02liberty, LongIsland Guy and 4 others like this

#30 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 10:24 AM

Thank you Sir!

#31 Tonto

Tonto

Bangkok rules. Now who has a can?

• Club LIF Member
  • 11,586 posts
  • LocationBeen there, done that

Posted June 19 2015 - 10:31 AM

POPULAR

So, if I understand this all correctly...the locals are upset that a few outsiders are going to use a section of public park, that they seem to want to "own" for themselves and screaming about all the "traffic" on that street in their neighborhood.

So I wonder how they would feel about a group of say...100+ vehicles, just safely going up and down those public streets, making full, complete stops at stop signs ;) and driving at safe speeds...etc...for a full Saturday or Sunday afternoon.
  • Aquabach, Flagg888, li02liberty and 6 others like this

#32 Aquabach

Aquabach

Grand Poobah

• Club LIF Member
  • 21,169 posts
  • LocationSuffolk County

Posted June 19 2015 - 10:53 AM

So, if I understand this all correctly...the locals are upset that a few outsiders are going to use a section of public park, that they seem to want to "own" for themselves and screaming about all the "traffic" on that street in their neighborhood.

So I wonder how they would feel about a group of say...100+ vehicles, just safely going up and down those public streets, making full, complete stops at stop signs ;) and driving at safe speeds...etc...for a full Saturday or Sunday afternoon.

With Kayaks on their roofs!
  • Tonto, Flagg888, li02liberty and 3 others like this

#33 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,933 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 11:23 AM

The neighbors treat that side of the park as if they own it. Many of them have horses and use the field there as they will. I have had multiple conversations and been yelled at by residents in the parking lot that Kayaks are illegal there but I assured them I contacted the park and DEC and was told I was good to go. The interesting thing is this year they advertised it for the first time that the park was kayak friendly with signs and a month later the signs were replaced by the one I posted above.

and there you have the entitlement portion......Kayaks illegal? Thats like saying golf is illegal....
  • Tonto, Flagg888 and COLLECTINGHEADS like this

#34 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:04 PM

Now that the other side is being overrun by car counting traffic nazis.

Car counting! LMFO. I doubt 50 cars use the street and parking lot on the busiest day of the year!
Okay, maybe 50, but no way more than 75 or 100. The place is always empty except when the horses show up.
  • COLLECTINGHEADS likes this

#35 SOUTHSHOREROB

SOUTHSHOREROB

Playing the corners

• Banned
  • 3,902 posts
  • LocationSOUTH FARMINGDALE NY

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:04 PM

I'll send out a few letters..... But what we should do also is have a LIF meetup over there we won't bring any boats just a nature walk then we'll see if they like the traffic :)
  • Tonto, BillyBonds, li02liberty and 3 others like this

#36 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:07 PM

I don't know the area well.
Is the entrance easy to find?
I looked at a map and it seems that the park juts out and touches brooksite Drive somewhere in the middle closer to the north.
Can you describe it more for me?
Thanks.

blydenbrooksitedrive.png

There are multiple "hidden" entrances to the park. Drive down any one of the dead end streets that surround the park and their will be either an official or unofficial break in the fence. There are official entrances whereever the greenbelt passes through. There are entrances on the west side along Old Willets Path.

As for the entrance you are looking for: it is likely that you will first notice a small park on the east side of Brroksite drive with the stream passing under the road by the entrance on the west of Brooksite drive.

Edited by Incognito, June 19 2015 - 12:10 PM.

• Aquabach likes this

#37 BillyBonds

BillyBonds

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 6,827 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:29 PM

I'll send out a few letters..... But what we should do also is have a LIF meetup over there we won't bring any boats just a nature walk then we'll see if they like the traffic :)

Yeah, maybe we should have an LIF picnic in the park 7 nights a week until kayak privileges are restored.
  • SOUTHSHOREROB likes this

#38 Incognito

Incognito

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • 1,840 posts
  • LocationSmithtown, NY

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:32 PM

leslie.kennedy@suffolkcountyny.gov
Email scparks@suffolkcountyny.gov

E-mails sent.

Whether you care about this issue or not, it is useful to remind the local politicians every chance we get that this communty is willing to speak up for what we believe in.
  • Tonto, LongIsland Guy and COLLECTINGHEADS like this

#39 COLLECTINGHEADS

COLLECTINGHEADS

Sharp Shooter!

• Established Member
  • 450 posts

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:43 PM

This is the canned email a lot of folks are receiving.

Thank you for taking the time to write to us with your questions regarding kayak access at Blydenburgh County Park. Up until a few years ago, personal watercraft were never permitted at Blydenburgh. After several requests and careful consideration, the Department agreed to institute a pilot program for two seasons on the North End of the park only to see how implementing access at this location would work. It was decided that the Southern Access to stump pond would remain a rowboat only area which would allow park staff to ensure the safety of park visitors, and for best management of the rowboat rental process.

After the pilot program was complete, the Parks Department evaluated the functionality of this location of a launching site, taking in all the feedback both positive and negative that we had received while this program was in place. Being that this location is within a historic district, and kayakers were having to drag their kayaks down the staircase and through the woods, did not present this location as ideal for either the kayaker or for the preservation of the site. This combined with community outcry with people going in and out of the park before and after dark, it was determined that we would not continue offering kayak access at this location.

The Parks Department does offer various other canoe and Kayak launching sites throughout Suffolk County, including sites around the Smithtown areas. For a complete list, please visit our website at http://www.suffolkco...s/Canoeing.aspx

Emily R. Lauri, Community Relations Director
Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Conservation
P.O. Box 144, Montauk Highway
West Sayville, NY 11796

631-854-4980
631-854-4978 (Fax)
Email: emily.lauri@suffolkcountyny.gov

My rebuttal:

It was my understanding after my call yesterday that there would be additional conversations and open dialogue concerning the use of the park and Kayak access. It seems many concerned folks are getting the same canned response and I would like to address it because frankly it doesn't hold water.

Your response to inquiries thus far:
After the pilot program was complete, the Parks Department evaluated the functionality of this location of a launching site, taking in all the feedback both positive and negative that we had received while this program was in place. Being that this location is within a historic district, and kayakers were having to drag their kayaks down the staircase and through the woods, did not present this location as ideal for either the kayaker or for the preservation of the site. This combined with community outcry with people going in and out of the park before and after dark, it was determined that we would not continue offering kayak access at this location.Emily R. Lauri, Community Relations Director :

Many of the issues that are outlined can be addressed immediately if you allow us to use the main entrance of the park and allow us a small area to launch. As far as the "community outcry" The only way you are going to keep people out of the that side of the park after dark is to close that back gate which is always open and has been for years. In addition I find it hard to believe that everyone in the park after or before hours has a kayak on the roof of their car. The hill Kayakers roll their carts down on wheels and causes far less wear then the horse's that traverse it. In addition the boats you rent have propellers and do far more damage to the environment then a paddle.

Is there an opportunity to have a meaningful conversation to discuss alternatives? I would make myself available at your request.

#40 Destro

Destro

Zombtac Operator

• Donated Member
  • 12,095 posts
  • LocationRunning with the spirits of the Nesaquake & Caleb Smith

Posted June 19 2015 - 12:46 PM

Good thing I live North of Jericho tpk in the snobby part of town :P We did have someone trying to launch a kayak off one of the mansions on the Nissy but Mick Foley chased him off.

Seriously though, as a local who wanted to get into kayaking this year (I drive by carloads of kayaks all the time living by the Nissy) I'll look into this.

There's still a lot of places to launch around here and in the summer driving down St. Johnlands for instance you see trailer loads going back and forth. Hey, got try scouting a spot for duck hunting in Nissequogue and have a chat with the private police if you want to feel more restrictions.

Edited by Destro, June 19 2015 - 12:49 PM.

• Tonto and li02liberty like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kayak, suffolk county parks, access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users