Long Island Shooters Forum banner

6 Ranges in Pennsylvania

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  grifhunter 
#1 ·
Pennsylvania is ranked number 31 in a 2014 list of the best states for gun owners compiled by Guns and Ammo. "Pennsylvania has a deeply rooted hunting culture and one of the highest numbers of NRA members in the nation."

Here are six spots for firearms and pistol practice in the state of Pennsylvania:

1. Target World Inc.: Located in Chalfont, with 15 heated indoor pistol and rifle lanes at a 25-yard maximum, this facility also offers firearm classes for beginners through advanced. Firearm rentals are available with credit toward a new purchase.

"Great place. Great people. Knowledgeable," writes a reviewer Yellow Pages. "I shoot two times a week at their range, which is really the only one in the area so that has them at the top of the list to start. Memberships to the range are the cheapest in the area by sometimes several hundred dollars."

2. Sunset Hill Shooting Range: A public pistol and rifle outside open range located in Henryville, this trap and rental range attracts beginners and casual shooters. Sunset Hill also carries a wide range of shooting accessories.

"Their guns include simple revolver to military assault rifles such as AK57 and AR15," writes a reviewer on Yelp. "The staff is very friendly and knowledgeable - they really want to make your gun range experience memorable."

3. Warrington Sporting Clays: The sporting clays course is located in Wellsville and provides an adventure for beginners and the most experienced marksmen. They also offer annual memberships. Warrington has more than 40 stands that range from clays being thrown from all directions to paths that accurately simulate bird flight patterns.

"I just joined this club and shot several times now," a member said on FindtheBest. "I love the grounds, very beautiful. I have a blast every time I go out."

4. The Gun Range: Located in Philadelphia, this range first opened in the 1950s. The facility has been refurbished and includes 13 well-lit, ventilated shooting lanes for any caliber. Staffed by NRA-certified firearms professionals, classes are available in a teaching facility.

"The faculty here are always very friendly," writes a reviewer on Yelp. "I feel welcomed each time I walk in the door. My boyfriend is the main shooter. I come as support ... and for him to get a good laugh when I miss the target. This place is clean and huge on safety, which I really appreciate."

5. Pocono Pistol Range: Located in Stroudsburg, this range is open to the public with memberships available. The indoor shooting range is climate controlled year round for comfort. Handgun recreation, training and safety classes are available.

"Have met some interesting members both male and female," wrote a member on FindtheBest. "Pardon the pun but it has been a blast. The staff are great, well informed ... serious about safety and friendly and helpful. My shooting has improved 100 percent."

6. Higher Ground Tactical: Located in Emmaus, along with the pistol and indoor rifle lanes, Higher Ground lets people participate in simulated warfare and training. You can rent protective gear and AR-15s.

"This place was great!" writes a reviewer on Yellow Pages. "Took my girlfriend with me to teach her how to shoot. The instructors were so helpful and more than willing to teach both of us the basics. Definitely recommend this place to anyone who wants to learn how to shoot a wide variety of guns or to shoot their own gun."

http://www.newsmax.c.../#ixzz3SfkdINdn

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm willing to bet that the top 5 and the bottom 5 stand out. Every other state on the list is likely very similar. If you were to compare the laws in the states #10, 20, 30 and 40 on that list it's probably pretty hard to pick which ones are better than the others.

A more reasonable list might have #1 through #10, then 30 States tied for 11th, then #12 through #21.

#7 ·
My .02: I have used Classic Pistol in Southampton PA -- just over the bridge from NJ on the PA Turnpike -- about a 90 minute drive from Long Island without traffic.

It's a good range if you have kids or friends without pistol licenses and want to shoot pistols. The range is indoor and nice (but can get crowded) and prices are reasonable.

#8 ·
Pennsylvania is a weird state gun wise- there is a lot of hunters and gun owners, but they are not universally gun centric like down south. A lot of union membership which means they are pro-gun to the extent that it doesn't cost them money. As the unions and WWII vets die off and the immigrants and yuppies colonize the formerly rural outer suburbs and farmland, you see a lot of gun hostility on the horizon. Pa also had some perplexing gun rules, such as no hunting with a semi auto rifle (but you could use a semi auto handgun to hunt small game). My family is mostly all in Pa, and I go back to shoot regularly, but I wouldn't move there for 2nd Amendment purposes.

My favorite two ranges in Pa are Targetmaster in Chadds Ford, and Delaware County Field and Stream in Brookhaven, both about 10-15 miles outside of Philly. Targetmaster used to rent full auto last time I was there. Pa also had some informal ranges on State Game Lands which were pretty loosy goosy.

#9 ·
I shot my first guns at Sunset Hill eons ago. My parents knew the original owners, the McCools. Started off as a boarding house across the road. They used to fire off a cannon at noon so the neighbors could set their clocks!
Sorry for the ramble, good memories

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.