Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Moving a Safe: Tips and Logistics

6K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  NRATC53 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Moving a Safe: Tips and Logistics

Moving a large safe is a big job. The largest safes for homes and businesses can weigh from 300 to well over 1500 pounds-making them some of the heaviest items to transport. The process of moving or relocating such a heavy item involves a number of logistical concerns ranging from specialized equipment to proper moving procedures.

A safe is one of the most important investments you can make, but first you have to move it. Often you can arrange transport with the vendor after purchasing the safe, but if you end up moving the safe independently, there are a few important things to consider. Here are some helpful considerations for moving a large safe from one place to another and keeping the safe, you, and everyone assisting safe in the process.

Plan a Route

Once you are ready to unload and begin physically moving the safe, you will need to have a route planned to ensure the smooth movement of the safe from the truck to the building where you are keeping it. Make sure the route is free of obstructions to prevent complications from arising during transport. For large safes, you will need to accurately measure the dimensions of the safe and the entryways, and take into account any maneuvering to position the safe.

Use the Right Equipment

For a large gun safe, you will need a vehicle with a hydraulic lifting platform to safely and effectively move the safe to and from the vehicle. A safe weighing 400-1000 pounds would be impossible to relocate in and out of a vehicle without a hydraulic platform. Once the safe is out of the truck, you will need a reinforced dolly capable of taking on the weight of the safe.
This process may require the assistance of several people, as you will need to also strap the safe to the dolly to further secure it. Make sure to also wear proper safety equipment, such as good gloves, sturdy, steel capped boots, and a back brace to help keep you secure and comfortable while physically maneuvering the safe.

Have a Procedure

Make sure to plan a procedure for getting the safe from the vehicle to the building as safely and efficiently as possible. Have a plan for operating the dolly, clearing a path, and maneuvering the safe. This process will involve multiple people, so identify individual roles and work together to get the safe relocated safely. Use leverage and the dolly as much as possible to avoid having to lift any part of the safe more than necessary. Make safety your primary concern during the moving process.

http://www.gunvault.com/blog/the-logistics-of-moving-a-safe/

See less See more
#17 ·
Have moved many heavy objects, think it through, plan your work and don't try to fight physics

#12 ·
Lots wrong with that article. Largest safes for homes and business don't weigh 300 to 1500lbs- RSC's and cheap gun safes do, large jewelry safes are more like 8-12K lbs.

And you don't need a hydraulic liftgate to get a 300lb-1500lb safe into a truck. I use an engine hoist (cherry picker type) get the box on its side and strap it at midpoint, lift it, back a pickup in below, drop the box in the bed. then disassemble the cherry picker, slide in alongside the safe, and repeat in reverse at destination.

No mention of removing the door- or selecting a safe with a removable door. Or a KD safe. It kinda makes me wonder whether the author actually moved safes or if he wrote blurbs for answers.com.

#13 ·
Lots wrong with that article. Largest safes for homes and business don't weigh 300 to 1500lbs- RSC's and cheap gun safes do, large jewelry safes are more like 8-12K lbs.
I think they might have been referring to cheap gun safes.

And you don't need a hydraulic liftgate to get a 300lb-1500lb safe into a truck. I use an engine hoist (cherry picker type) get the box on its side and strap it at midpoint, lift it, back a pickup in below, drop the box in the bed. then disassemble the cherry picker, slide in alongside the safe, and repeat in reverse at destination.
Engine hoist is hydraulic and not everyone has one laying around. I was hoping for something more creative from you like a 3 point hitch crane.

No mention of removing the door- or selecting a safe with a removable door. Or a KD safe. It kinda makes me wonder whether the author actually moved safes or if he wrote blurbs for answers.com.

I also noticed they avoided discussing stair cases...not 4 entry steps but a flight of 12. Also no mention to reinforcing older basemnt steps. Not sure I would trust my basement staircase to 800lbs without a couple of 4x4 wedged under the stringers in couple of places.

#14 ·
Metalhead- agreed on the first point, as far as the second I am an avid supporter/user of the "gin pole" for mechanical advantage, but probably not applicable to this case (although a gantry and chainfall type hoist or come-along will do the same job) and agree on the third point.

#18 ·
pretty much this

#15 ·
If you bought a heavy safe (500+) and it involves going up multiple steps, I would rather pay someone to move it for me. Moving companies have insurance and skilled labor. I rather them drop the safe or damage a wall or hurt themselves than it happen to me or one of my buddies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.