Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Mossberg 500 20ga repair

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Sig 
#1 ·
At my parents house I found an old mossberg 500 20 gauge. This was my first hunting gun till I bought my 12 gauge at 18.

The barrel and magazine tube finish was gone years ago, and now it had surface rust from sitting in the basement for 15 - 20 years.

Steel wooled it clean and re blued with brownele's oxpho blue. Did about 10 cycles of blue, wipe, steel wool. Then wiped down in compressor oil for 2 days. Came out pretty good.

Put it back together and found the magazine follower to be stuck. Tore it apart. Tube was out of round and the spring was bent and cracked. Sanded and polished tube and follower, so now that slides with no issue.

Now it needs a new mag spring. I know I can get online, but if I am not getting anything else, the shipping price is probably high. Since its a common enough part, anyone have an idea of a local shop that has good prices on parts?

Thanks.

Sorry no before picture, but I do have an after.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Not expecting it either, but it is a pretty generic part for all mossberg 500 variants and clones in 12 and 20ga. Would expect people to mess them up or loose them when putting in the duck plug, so thought ther would be a chance. Brownells has the part and midway is out of stock. Probably just look to see who has one from a site that has something else I need.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.