Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

Best LI Largemouth Fishing?

best li largemouth fishing

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 burgep

burgep

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:20 AM

Since the striper run this year wasn't so good (that's what I see online), I'd like to do freshwater spin fishing for some largemouth bass on LI. Does anyone have recommendations? For one thing, I've heard Laurel Lake in Peconic is good, but Lake Ronkonkoma not so good. Any advice is appreciated.

# Advertisement

Advertisement

Posted A minute ago

#2 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 3,939 posts
  • Locationisn't it obvious ?

Posted July 14 2014 - 09:59 AM

Laurel Lake is further east, in Cutchogue. Access is tough but supposedly worth it. The Peconic River itself can provide good fishing, just don't even think about eating them. they begin to glow as the sun gets lower...
Many have said Blydenburgh (Smithtown/Hauppaugue) is good, not sure about needing to be a Suffolk resident though.
All that said, and I recall that Prospect Park in Crooklyn is good.

but go on noreast.com, a fishing website, not this one, for the most info on fishing !!

#3 angelonm

angelonm

Gun Guru

• Club LIF Member
  • 1,782 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 10:00 AM

Im not giving any secrets away but Peconic Lake has big Largemouth.

#4 mattj

mattj

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 944 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 11:03 AM

What's with all the Peconic pollution talk. Ive only fished it recently once. And probably years ago when I was a kid. But don't really remember. Is it really that bad?

#5 RogueBurn

RogueBurn

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,103 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 11:17 AM

I hear near Albany there is a legendary Large Mouth Butt.....ah Bass. Our Governor.

Trick is trying to catch him.

Usually reported near large gatherings of prospective voters

#6 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 01:37 PM

What's with all the Peconic pollution talk. Ive only fished it recently once. And probably years ago when I was a kid. But don't really remember. Is it really that bad?

Yes.
http://www.bnl.gov/g...t_Report_v1.pdf
In addition, the Peconic River Sportsmans Club in nearby Manorville requires catch and release only from their members and guests, all species.
Not sure if the pollutants are all from the Brookhaven National Lab at the river's headwaters, or also from leaching into the groundwaters from the old Navy owned Grumman facility in Calverton.
an older article, from 1999, discusses the impact of 50 years of nuclear energy use and experimentation at the BNL.
http://www.nytimes.c...ion-037869.html
But to the original poster, Nassau county has required C and R only for largemouth for at least a decade. I doubt thats just for conservation of the fish.

#7 Bang stick

Bang stick

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 590 posts
  • LocationWesthampton

Posted July 14 2014 - 02:15 PM

I used to fish a lot for bass, if you want to consume them keep the smallest legal ones you catch. the bigger they get the more they seem to taste like mud. Laurel lake is good for a variety of fish, don't know the regs anymore.
  • mongo likes this

#8 mattj

mattj

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 944 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 02:56 PM

I don't care to eat anything freshwater from around here so I guess it doesn't matter.

Would swan pond be something else to worry about? I know that's across from the old Grumman right?

#9 pequa1

pequa1

Gun Guru

• 3,939 posts

Posted July 14 2014 - 03:51 PM

Swan Pond, if thats the one south of the Peconic River Sportsmens Club, may be a pretty good bass lake still. I stopped to check it out once, and returned home (60 miles !!) with a dead garter snake wrapped around my CVC joints, lol ! It looked good and "fishy" to me I recall, but that was probably 15 years ago when I stopped. I think the several lakes (actually all part of the Peconic with just some man made partial dams and waterfalls in between at Riverhead and a little west would be where I would fish if I still did freshwater.
Artists Lake, in Middle Island across from what used to be either a Kmart or Walmart, reportedly has a lot of action catching wise, but most fish are small. Again, peruse the freshwater forum in noreast.com.

#10 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 7,262 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 15 2014 - 11:56 PM

I have fished just a bout every where on LI that is possible to fish....Laurel is awsome, Brown and rainbows, More Bass than you could ever want to catch, PITA to get down to with a lot of gear....If you want to eat the fish, I only eat fish from there....Best fishing, easy access, Lots of big fish is the Peconic, access is a DEC parking area on rt25. Across from Frosty Flake ice cream..I have a 14ft jon boat and its easy in easy out..Water is full of vegitation, and a bit brown, The DEC said its tanic acid from rotten leaves...I catch and release there. I use a Heddon torpedo top water in the evenings, Biggest bass on LI....I have seen carp in there down by the power lines that must weigh 30 lbs...dont know how they survive in such shallow water, its inly 3 to 4 ft deep at best...
  • angelonm and PWGUNNY like this

#11 AkunaMatata

AkunaMatata

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 5,575 posts
  • LocationRiverhead

Posted July 16 2014 - 05:14 AM

Peconic Lake/River has some good spots. I personally have not had a largemouth yet this year, but they're out there. I have had a few good sized smallmouths back in May... Unfortunately I haven't had a day to head out since bass season actually started.

#12 Dchilde

Dchilde

Runs With Scissors

• Established Member
  • 3,395 posts
  • LocationNorth Fork

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:20 AM

Laurel Lake is further east, in Cutchogue. Access is tough but supposedly worth it.

it should be of no surprise that Laurel lake is NOT in Cutchogue, it is located in.......wait for it...........

LAUREL!!!!
  • Short Circuit likes this

#13 PeepSight

PeepSight

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 15,402 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 06:44 AM

I would try the Sloppy Tuna in Montauk.....lotsa large mouths there.

#14 mattj

mattj

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 944 posts

Posted July 16 2014 - 07:46 AM

I have fished just a bout every where on LI that is possible to fish....Laurel is awsome, Brown and rainbows, More Bass than you could ever want to catch, PITA to get down to with a lot of gear....If you want to eat the fish, I only eat fish from there....Best fishing, easy access, Lots of big fish is the Peconic, access is a DEC parking area on rt25. Across from Frosty Flake ice cream..I have a 14ft jon boat and its easy in easy out..Water is full of vegitation, and a bit brown, The DEC said its tanic acid from rotten leaves...I catch and release there. I use a Heddon torpedo top water in the evenings, Biggest bass on LI....I have seen carp in there down by the power lines that must weigh 30 lbs...dont know how they survive in such shallow water, its inly 3 to 4 ft deep at best...

I might have to try laurel this weekend. My buddy and I went to Peconic a few weeks ago in the boat and got nothing. But that's fishing. Will try it again but laurel is now the next "out east" trip I make.

Best to go with the waders or is possible to lug the plastic pontoon boat in? Thanks for the info.

#15 Ballistic

Ballistic

Triple Distilled Unfiltered Truth

• Topic Starter
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationUnder the Yoke of Serfdom

Posted July 16 2014 - 08:07 AM

Yes.
http://www.bnl.gov/g...t_Report_v1.pdf
In addition, the Peconic River Sportsmans Club in nearby Manorville requires catch and release only from their members and guests, all species.
Not sure if the pollutants are all from the Brookhaven National Lab at the river's headwaters, or also from leaching into the groundwaters from the old Navy owned Grumman facility in Calverton.
an older article, from 1999, discusses the impact of 50 years of nuclear energy use and experimentation at the BNL.
http://www.nytimes.c...ion-037869.html
But to the original poster, Nassau county has required C and R only for largemouth for at least a decade. I doubt thats just for conservation of the fish.

Please don't spread misinformation. Peconic river is clean, hence the report. The ammount of pollutants BNL leeched into the river, over a 30 year period, was less than the pollution caused by someone dropping their smoke detector into the river. That's not a figurative statement, it's literal. The problem is people hear "lab", "radiation" "pollution" and "water" all in a single sentence and they lose their mind because a Baldwin brother told them to. Nuclear protection guidelines are so strict it requires handling of a situation long before it's a serious problem when the slightest issue it detected.

C&R policies have to do entirely with conservation, not pollution from BNL or anywhere else.

Edited by Ballistic, July 16 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#16 burgep

burgep

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted July 20 2014 - 12:09 PM

Gentlemen: Thank you for all the responses and good info! I'm thinking of heading out to Laurel Lake and Peconic River this week. Let's see if I can manage it. Best of luck to all of you in your fishing.

#17 mongo

mongo

INFIDEL

• Donated Member
  • Others:
  • 7,262 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted July 20 2014 - 12:20 PM

I was fishing Peconic on Friday nite...super weedy, Didnt catch any monsters, but always catch.....Laurel is next stop.. Just to the right of the path, there is a dropoff that goes down to 30ft if you go off the shore....In my younger years I carried a boat and gear down to the lake and mapped it with a fish finder......

#18 Waynes5216

Waynes5216

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIslip

Posted May 29 2016 - 09:33 AM

Anyone know if McKay Lake by old Grumman has boat launch access or any access type whatsoever??? Thanks in advance.

#19 VtwinHP

VtwinHP

Respected Gunowner

• 172 posts

Posted May 29 2016 - 04:20 PM

Since the striper run this year wasn't so good (that's what I see online), I'd like to do freshwater spin fishing for some largemouth bass on LI. Does anyone have recommendations? For one thing, I've heard Laurel Lake in Peconic is good, but Lake Ronkonkoma not so good. Any advice is appreciated.

That's all nice and enjoy those mudsharks but the Striper Run is doing just fine !

#20 rubbermittens

rubbermittens

Gun Guru

• Donated Member
  • 3,933 posts

Posted May 29 2016 - 06:16 PM

They dont call long Island a waste dump for no reason, The waters are filthy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: best, li, largemouth, fishing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users