Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Anyone have one of these?

4K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  SOUTHSHOREROB 
#1 ·
An ortgies 32

I have one that my father left to me. I haven't shot it yet and don't know much about it. It looks like a kinda nice little gun. Striker fired, lightweight, easy carry pistol but I don't know if I should be using it or polishing it. I don't even have an 32 ACP ammo. The sights look crappy compared to todays better sights, the trigger feels cheap but its sleek and simple looking. Anyone have experience with this gun?

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting pistol, looks very much like FN 1910, "the gun that started the WW I", somehow I doubt that yours has any kind of following that would command high collector's value, but a quick wikipedia and gunbroker search would provide answers to your questions.

#4 ·
Its no python thats for sure but it is rare. Funny how being rare doesn't necessarily make it valuable. When it stars in its own TV show, then the following will begin.
In theory its a nice gun. Slim and lightweight making it good for pocket carry. Its lack of $ value is what has me wondering. Just a 1940's glock, forgotten about and out engineered with newer better technology.

#9 ·
Many years ago I had a Mauser 1910 32acp like this, but didn't have a nice interesting story to go with it other than I picked it up at Edelman's in Farmingdale.

#10 ·
I too might have some old 32acp. If I do you can have that as well. I've got to check.

#11 ·
Thanks guys…Very nice of you!

I guess I should have posted this in the "Post a picture of something you have that you think no one else has"

I did some reading on the origin of the gun. Its was likely built in the tail end of production somewhere around 1924. It was considered very reliable and was used to win multiple competitions. It was also rumored to be carried by John Dillinger (not this particular gun)

This little piece has likely changed hands quite a few times before reaching my father.
Lesson to me and anyone else with kids and obscure firearms or heirlooms…. Write this stuff down somewhere!!

#13 · (Edited by Moderator)
That gun was designed by a German named Karl Brauning (which I believe is pronounced the same way as John Moses BROWNING rather than "Brawning") who ALSO worked at FN.
Brauning later went to work for the Yale Lock Company in Stamford, my buddy lived there when it was art/loft space in the early 90's and you could fall through the floors, wonderful old building. It was converted to Yuppie Loft Condos around 2000.

Anyway, very cool gun.
I would shoot it to at least try it out, and take good care of it. From the pics, finish looks VG to Exc.

#14 ·
I have an Ortgies 32 acp. About three years ago I was waiting on line to get a handgun put onto my card. There was a guy in front of me who was getting this old crappy handgun taken off his card to be destroyed. As he is talking to the lady behind the glass I overheard this crazytalk. I asked the guy about the handgun he sad its junk, its been in the family since wwII. His fathers brother brought it back from italy where he was stationed with the air core. Won it in a card game it was probably won in a few card games befor that. He was tierd of holding onto it saying it stopped working 40 years ago and the firing pin had a crack in it good luck if you want to fix it you can have it. Did the transfer brought it home the took every part off replaced all the springs polished the whole thing up tracked down a fireing pin. Works like new now. I have seen original mags on ebay go for 100 bucks. The barrel can be swapped with 380acp barrel if you can find one.

Attachments

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
That firing pin failure was apparently common with this gun. I should order some extra parts while they are available and keep em around. IF i can find any.

Yours is much younger than mine. I found this to be a great resource for dating the gun. http://unblinkingeye.com/Guns/Ortgies/ortgies.html

#17 ·
awesome grips never seen that before

#19 ·
It was common to snap the thin wood grips trying to disassemble the gun. They are supposed to pop out with some pressure from inside the mag well. Its likely these grips were replacements for broken wood grips. Factory or custom is still unknown.

#18 ·
get a parts diagram to

#20 ·
looks like the screws would be tapped into the frame

#25 ·
Very cool piece like it been said get some ammo shoot it but I wouldn't carry it .its a gem .

Reactions: MetalHead
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.