Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Security Dodge Amityville AVOID AT ALL COSTS!

151K views 1K replies 189 participants last post by  Short Circuit 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Long story.
We do a lot for the local community and depend on a vehicle. Selling something with misleading titles and certifications are just plain wrong. You shop at a dealership to NOT get swindled. Well..

Purchased a Ram 2500 on the 6/11 and it took them until 6/19 to take posession. Folks who buy pickups know we need specific things. Engine type, gear ratios, towing, etc. I actually found exactly what I wanted! Claiming they addressed all the 'problems'.

Vehicle has 41,190 miles, and was sold as a CERTIFIED Chrysler pre-owned.

Left the dealership and the following has occurred:

They gave me an "I OWE YOU" for a check engine light, safety recall, new fob key, new spare key, and they owe me funds on a trade.

Left the dealership and on night one:

1. Rear brake light out (how did it pass NYS inspection?)
2. Steering wheel play is horrible and its all over the road. (its actually dangerous to drive)
3. Check engine light (again, how did it pass NYS inspection?)
4. Auto start reports system failure and shuts the vehicle down after 5 seconds from starting.
5. Vehicle randomly starts and stalls on its own.
6. Brakes are horrible.
7. Spare tire is bald and flat
8. Rear passenger door does not lock or unlock.
9. Front left and right tie rods are worn, which is a Dodge safety recall and never fixed which I asked 3 times prior.
10. 4x4 high light does come on solid but grinding gears.
11. 4x4 LOW only flashes and truck locks up.

I got stuck in the sand/beach last night, guess I learned the hard way!!!

The point is, this is a CERTIFIED Chrysler pre-owned which is to go through a 124 point check which it didn't. No one at the dealership returns my calls, so I contacted Dodge directly and was given a case number. Employee # SM1771 gave me a case number and called all local dealerships for me this morning:

I bought the truck to be able to tow it for our 4th of July Camping trip!!

Atlantic Dodge was dispatched to take the vehicle and will give me a loaner this Thursday. They will look at it and address the immediate concerns/safety stuff to be able to drive/tow for next week. (whew!!)

This post is to inform people to stay clear from Security Dodge when they claim a vehicle is 'certified'. Do yourself a favor and avoid them at all costs.

I setup a domain (www.SecurityDodgeSucks.com) that points to this thread to get exposure it needs. Other potential customers need to be aware of what is happening there.

Guests, login into here (www.LongIslandFirearms.com) to reply if you too have experiences with this dealership.

We pay good money for our vehicles and I went shopping for a certified one so that I wouldn't get scammed. Well shame on me!

Our community Long Island Firearms is the #1 rated site in NY,(*click here guests) with over 3 million website hits per month. Enjoy that exposure Security Dodge!!

(hate those WBAB commericals of your dealership, they make me sick now)

UPDATE per Atlantic 6/26 1pm:Transfer case is shot, broken internal parts, no fluid in the transfer case, bone dry.
3 bulbs were out (rear brake, reverses)
Check engine: 02 sensor and computer malfunction which is causing the system failures
Recall was not completed and are doing this as well
Stuck part in rear passenger door lock system
The play in the steering is related to recall and steering box parts needed.

UPDATE: per Atlantic 6/27 4:30PM. Transfer case due in Monday. Recall parts (all front end safety related) has been completed.

Dealership address:

• Security Dodge
    Address: 345 Merrick Rd, Amityville, NY 11701
    Phone: 631-691-5000

Share on facebook too:

Post by Long Island Firearms.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, that really sucks. One of these places dragged my 82 year old grandfather out of his house telling him he won some t.v. (he called them to double check). We go there and guess what, no t.v., they gave him a "$50 gold coin" that was nothing more than a painted piece of metal. Really pissed me off. They're all a bunch of dirt bags.

#9 ·
I bought a "Certified Pre-Owned" 2001 Acura TL in 2004. I still have it and it's still running well. I've put 120K on it. Sure it needed some work here and there but 120k will do that to any car. I'll only buy certified used cars from dealers. But of course, I'll only buy "Japanese" brand names after getting hosed by Ford/Mercury once and seeing my family get garbage from GM.

#8 ·
When I drove it 2 weeks prior there was no check engine light, 4x4 light went solid and tested on pavement, didnt think to check auto starter, and the steering play was to be addressed. Then I asked about the safety recall (tie rods) and they claimed they did it.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
HAHA before I bought my Camaro in 09, I tried to buy an SRT8 there, they threw me out and said if I even come back they will call the cops. I would never own any POS Chrysler/Dodge product for any cost. !@@ them.

ETA.......Another business not realizing I walk around with a pocket full of cash, LMAO

#12 ·
Recently cleared check engine light on CAN get through NYSI inspection if CURRENT OR PREVIOUS MODEL YEAR vehicle(i.e., 2013,2014). These model years only require safety inspect, so the MIL doesn't count. ALSO, if the vehicle is over 8500 lbs. GVWR, it's emission inspect consists of visual verification of all emission components, the NYSI computer is not even hooked up to your vehicle's DLC during the inspection. Safety items(tie rods, brake light) should NOT have gotten through.

#13 ·
Let me get this straight... Security Dodge ripped off the Architect....

Who owns a firearms web site... with 10,000 members... who shoot.... and tend to go outdoors... who hunt... who tend to buy 4x4 trucks....

Smart..... not!

#16 ·
#180 ·
I was just reminded recently with my van purchase that a dealer MUST have an inspection done before it leaves the lot...

#19 ·
Whenever you take delivery of a vehicle, new or used, always make sure everything is right with the vehicle before you go inside to start signing papers. They'll tell you anything and promise you everything just to see your tail lights.

But nothing puts the fear of God in them more than if you threaten not to take delivery. They think they have the deal closed and you're about to drive out in your old car? Nothing ruins a salesman's day more than that.

#21 ·
no worse feeling in the world than getting a car with issues. sounds like you got a car that was cleaned up really nice. i used to work as an assistant manager at a car wash/detail center. we used to clean up the trade in cars for dealers that had accounts with us. some of the cars i was amazed they even bothered to clean up how bad they were. we did a great job on some, looked great in pictures and odor free. but sometimes they barely made it back to the dealers we worked with.

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
#26 ·
Always uncomfortable with a public hanging of a business without hearing both sides or them having a chance to warranty an issue.

#27 ·
In this case I can't see how the other side can comment. Another dealership already agreed that this vehicle wasn't put through any checks.

#28 ·
I will never use any dealer other then Smithaven Dodge. Their customer service is top notch and their mechanics are amazing. Plus the service manager is a great guy and works on his own time checking in customers on weekends! How often do you see that?! Ive referred 2 people to that dealership now and they are both extremely happy.

#31 ·
Hopefully this post will be a warning flag and reminder not to get too excited about a high ticket purchase especially at a good price to the point of ignoring your sixth sense.

The warning signs were all there to see but OP wanted the truck and excitement overcame the little voice in the back of your head. We have all done it at least once. Sure the dealer was wrong but he never should have accepted the keys nor believed a car dealer at face value.; ever. Your interests simply aren't aligned. I did the same thing with a car in my 20's so I feel comfortable saying this was a lesson in listening to your instincts.

Trust but verify.

#33 ·
I went there to buy my sons 2010 Grand Cherokee. My son wanted a silver Cherokee with certain options. We were also looking for low miles. Long story short after spending a whole day driving from dealer to dealer all over the island I found one at Security. I spoke to the salesman. Got the price. Asked the salesman if there were any other fees besides tax and DMV and he said no. I drive back home out east and get my son. He had just gotten home from work. We drive back out to Security. Again, we ask the salesman about the bottom line price. AGAIN we are told there are no hidden fees. My kid drives the truck. Just about every option he was looking for. 19K on the clock. He loves the truck. So we sit down with the salesman. I give him a check for the deposit. I sign the paperwork. He leaves and comes back a few minutes later with the sales contract. I start reading the contract and notice the final price was $1000 over the original price quoted. I ask him why and he tells me theres a "lot fee". At this point Im flipping out ! I start ranting about hidden fees and he takes me over to the finance manager. He tells me that every car has that. We start going back and forth. Im yelling. He tells me that I signed the contract and he has my check. My fault, I should have paid more attention to the paperwork but the salesman never mentioned the "lot fee". Slick a-hole. Long story short, my son was getting bummed. We were looking for a few weeks before finding this truck. The dealer halved the lot fee. We bought the truck. My kids still driving the it. We never went back and I never will.

#38 · (Edited by Moderator)
NYS has a three day look back period on business contracts. You can walk away from any signed contract within three business days. That includes vehicles.
My father went looking for a new car a while back. We went into a Mazda dealership, looked at a 626 (that's how long ago!). Nice car, then we looked at the sticker. Besides a bunch of BS of stripes, rust proofing, floor mats, was a $500 MPA fee.
I asked what's the MPA fee, the salesman said it's a Market Premium Added fee, which meant the dealership was adding $500 on top just because the car was a new model and very popular.
We walked out.

#34 ·
Most car dealers are geared to take advantage of the buyer. I have been lucky with working in Law Enforcement that has eliminated the shady car salesman routine. My Sergeant sent me to Security Dodge a while back. The sales manager took care of me, no waiting around with the salesman showing the bogus dealer cost.
Many car dealers have terrible reputations.
Definitely keep all records.
Small claims court is definitely the best course of action.

#40 ·
I have made several purchases from Security Dodge and always felt they were shady. My first purchase was a lease for a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 that I needed due to a new business start up. I had a Jeep Liberty that was less than a year into a lease so my hands were kind of tied. After a month of owning the Ram I began to notice the whole passenger side had swirl marks. This was not visible in the beginning due to the detailing they did. Soon afterward I had problems with the steering and tires with uneven where. I got the feeling the vehicle fell off a truck or was involved in an accident. When I returned it I found it odd that I was asked if I had any problems with it.

I took my son there to lease him a Liberty and co-signed for him being told he was the primary on the lease and would establish credit. When we returned for another lease we went and settled on the numbers after negotiating for a long time. When the financial person came back the numbers were way higher than what we agreed on and I was advised that my son did not establish credit and that I had been the primary on the last loan. Because my son had not established credit he would have to pay more in order to obtain a loan. That in and of itself really pissed me off and I have a friend who experienced the same thing with his daughter.

Every time I went there for an oil change and tire rotation the price was alway different. At 39k I needed new brakes and the quote was $750.00, when I went back the said it would be $1000.00. I went to Mavis discount tire and paid 1/2 of that.

And the list goes on......................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.