Welcome to Long Island Firearms, Long Island's premier source for news and education!

Welcome to Long Island Firearms, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of Long Island Firearms by signing in or creating an account. You also have the ability to login with your facebook or twitter account. See the icons in the upper right hand corner.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Get the latest facts on the new NY SAFE gun laws that effect you!

Photo

POOL OPENING TIME DON'T BE A SUCKER

pool opening time dont be sucker

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator
  • Others: Club LIF Member

• 9,508 posts
  • LocationIn a dark corner in the center of my happy place.

Posted May 21 2014 - 12:56 PM

Hey it time to open the pool and if you have a salt water pool don't get suck in by the fools at the pool store. You need salt that is obvious so how do they know you need all the other crap too? They don't be fore you run in and get your water tested turn the pump on all the salt has settled to the bottom of the pool. Let the pump run over night then test the water. Every year I need 5 Bags of salt But this year I needed 9. Why you ask well drinking beer, smoking cigar and closing the pool leads to draining too much water out so I needed more salt. Vacuum the pool if your water was high like mine put your multi valve on waste pump the water out while you are sucking up all that crap you don't want that crap in your filter when your done add the salt.

Yes your pool is green it should be you do not have enough salt. Don't add all that shock to your pool yet give it a couple of days for the salt and chlorine generator/reactor to make it own shock. But if you are in a rush by all means shock it. Get the filter filtering. Now just drink a beer or two and let the pool be for a couple of days If you see no change get the water tested again. you may need to add some shock, but not the 50lbs they wanted you to buy on day one. More money in your pocket for more beer and ammo.

Do not start adjusting your hardness, PH, and whatnot till you have your salt stable and where you want it to be or you will be wasting money and add the stuff you didn't want to be swimming in in the first place cause that why you brought a salt water pool. If you see no change in the color of the water you may need more salt but since the water is cold and salt a crystal your salt may just be sitting in a pile on the pool floor so you will need to stir it up.

Remember pool stores make their money in the beginning of the season not the middle.

Why did I post this you ask? My wife went to a pool store cause she wanted to pool up and running they tried to sell her 40 40lb bags of salt $400, 70lbs of some other crap $90, 59lb of PH up $75, and $50 worth of shock so for $650 I could jump in my pool on Saturday but wait its only 50 degrees. She called me before she said yes and I told her to walk out. I went to the guy I've been using for 6 years and out the door for $100 now what can I do with that extra $550 oh pay off some bills or buy more beer.

• li02liberty, Uvbnaxed, rlitman and 1 other like this

# Advertisement

Advertisement
  • Topic Starter

Posted A minute ago

#2 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 01:39 PM

3hr after salt went in I have chlorine and its climbing.
  • The Architect likes this

#3 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 21 2014 - 01:54 PM

If you don't understand the chemistry involved in maintaining a pool and depend on a pool store for advise, you will always lose.
Get a good test kit and educate yourself.
  • NRATC53, acamato, gwbahren and 2 others like this

#4 jack park

jack park

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • Forum Sponsor

• 3,189 posts
  • LocationMiller Place

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:00 PM

Also don't believe them when they tell you that their salt is better than any others, salt is salt!
Lowes sells coarse "solar salt" for less than $5.00
A 40lb bag that works exactly the same
  • rlitman likes this

#5 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:03 PM

Also don't believe them when they tell you that their salt is better than any others, salt is salt!
Lowes sells coarse "solar salt" for less than $5.00
A 40lb bag that works exactly the same

Yep I was lazy and did feel like going to Lowes or HD

#6 Undrwtr1

Undrwtr1

Respected Gunowner

• Topic Starter
  • Club LIF Member
  • Others: Donated Member

• 292 posts
  • LocationNassau County, NY

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:05 PM

troublefreepool.com - I've been using bleach, baking soda and muriatic acid for years. Crystal clear and no more pool store BS.
  • Ransom, acamato, TTSkipper and 2 others like this

#7 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:06 PM

troublefreepool.com - I've been using bleach, baking soda and muriatic acid for years. Crystal clear and no more pool store BS.

but do you want to be swimming in that stuff. I my have to add a small bag of shock or two but not more then that.

Edited by zzrguy, May 21 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#8 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:13 PM

I do the same. Best website and method for a pool.

#9 spitdog

spitdog

Gun Guru

• Established Member
  • 1,024 posts
  • LocationSuffolk

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:17 PM

but do you want to be swimming in that stuff. I my have to add a small bag of shock or two but not more then that.

The active ingredient in bleach is the same in a jug of pool chlorine. The difference is the amount.

A gallon of bleach 8.25%. A gallon of pool shock 11%

#10 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Established Member + Classifieds
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:28 PM

The active ingredient in bleach is the same in a jug of pool chlorine. The difference is the amount.

A gallon of bleach 8.25%. A gallon of pool shock 11%

Regular gallon of bleach is 5.25% sodium hypochlorite. Some have higher concentrations though.

#11 Phoenix69

Phoenix69

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 18,967 posts
  • LocationA little place I like to call "you"ll see".

Posted May 21 2014 - 02:47 PM

Since I switched to a salt generator I have not needed any other chemicals.

#12 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• Topic Starter
  • LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 07:25 AM

Since I switched to a salt generator I have not needed any other chemicals.

That was that hole point of switching. So why do they keep trying to sell us chemical?
Why cause they are steeling from us all or are incompetent.

#13 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 22 2014 - 07:29 AM

Oh just curious how mush do you all spend on your pool chemicals each year.

I am at $100 so far and that is for Salt I don't expect to spend more then 200 for the year.

#14 acamato

acamato

Sharp Shooter!

• Club LIF Member
  • 351 posts
  • LocationSt. James

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:37 PM

Be careful with what you are shocking your pool with. It could be adding CYA (stabilizer). When you CYA increases you need to keep a higher chlorine level to maintain clean water. If you need to shock your pool the best thing to use is liquid cholrine. Liquid chlorine, liquid shock, bleach are all the same thing, Sodium Hypochlorite.

Read the pool school section on troublefreepool.com
Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Edited by acamato, May 23 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#15 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Topic Starter
  • Banned

• 7,584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted May 23 2014 - 10:59 PM

My pool has been open for a week now. I did pretty much what you had said.

#16 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 23 2014 - 11:50 PM

My pool has been open for a week now. I did pretty much what you had said.

How's it looking. My pool is clearing up but my salt cell is at the end of is reported life span so it maybe not make as much chlorine as needed. But I found that I can get the cell from the manufacturer for less then anywhere else by over $200. I'll give it three more days and have the water check. The cover come all the way off on Sunday and the sun helps kill more of the algee.

#17 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned

• 7,584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted May 24 2014 - 06:14 AM

How's it looking. My pool is clearing up but my salt cell is at the end of is reported life span so it maybe not make as much chlorine as needed. But I found that I can get the cell from the manufacturer for less then anywhere else by over $200. I'll give it three more days and have the water check. The cover come all the way off on Sunday and the sun helps kill more of the algee.

Are you able to pull the cell and de-scale it? I haven't had to, but I've read up on others having problems and simple soak in vinigar (I think) de-scales it and extends it's life span.

#18 Uvbnaxed

Uvbnaxed

Banned

• Banned

• 7,584 posts
  • LocationS. Huntington

Posted May 24 2014 - 06:15 AM

Oh, yeah. Water is crystal clear to the bottom! :)

#19 rlitman

rlitman

Gun Guru

• Topic Starter
  • 1,897 posts
  • LocationBellmore

Posted May 24 2014 - 07:26 AM

Sun is what makes algae grow. No light=no algae.

#20 zzrguy

zzrguy

That Guy

• LIF Site Moderator

• 9,508 posts

Posted May 24 2014 - 10:04 AM

Are you able to pull the cell and de-scale it? I haven't had to, but I've read up on others having problems and simple soak in vinigar (I think) de-scales it and extends it's life span.

I used the stuff from the pool store it diluted acid once again being lazy and cheap $10. You cap one end fill it with the stuff let soak for 30min and reinstall.

Sun is what makes algae grow. No light=no algae.

Yes but the sun heats the pool and will kill off some of the algee too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pool, opening, time, dont, be, sucker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users