Long Island Shooters Forum banner

Plunging Ammo Prices!

940 views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  whitefoot 
#1 ·
Guys,

I have been tracking ammo prices for the past couple of weeks on TargetSports since they are my go-to online source. In particular, I have been tracking the availability and pricing on 9mm and .223 (as they go, so goes the market in general). Right now, it seems like prices are plummeting across the board. As for .223, Russian steel cased ammo is easily found for $0.22 a round and PMC Bronze and Wolf Gold is now dropping to under $0.30 a round. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/223-remington556mm-nato-ammo-c-83.aspx Steel has been in the low .20's for a month or two, but seeing brass starting to drop under .30 is huge. I don't remember the last time I have seen these prices. The US made brass is still hanging in there, but Remington 500 round bulk packs of .55gr FMJ is now selling for $0.34. That was in the $0.40's in January--a solid $0.10 per round drop. That's a nothing to sneeze at!

As for 9mm, Russian steel is going for $0.16-0.17 a round on a lot of different varieties and US made brass from CCI and aguila is going for $0.20. https://www.targetsportsusa.com/9mm-luger-ammo-c-51.aspx When was the last time you saw those types of prices for ammo that is actually in stock! I think we all talked about the big drop in ammo and firearms that would happen if Trump won, but to see it come to fruition is something else. No don't go crazy hording or anything. This is the beginning of the drop. It's not at the bottom yet, so just buy what you need for the moment. I think we'll see steel 9mm hit $0.10-0.12 per round and bulk brass get to $0.17-0.18 a round. As for .223, I can imagine wolf and tula dropping under 0.20 a round with bulk brass (PMC and Wolf) getting down to $0.25. Any changes in import regs for ammo will really push prices down.

As for other popular rounds, they have dropped too, but not quite to the same extent. Specialty rounds and fancy stuff like Hornady V-Max is dropping too, but not as fast or to such a great extent. I think we'll also start to see steel .308 dropping comfortably under $0.40 a round. .22lr prices have been pretty stable since there isn't much room for movement at those prices. However, availability is good on .22lr. With .223 and 9mm prices coming down so much, I wonder how much demand there will be for .17hmr and .22wmr. Why spend $0.30 a round on 17hmr, when you can get .223 for 30% less. .22wmr is not available anywhere as far as i can tell, so why bother with this caliber. That said, I like .17hmr and .22wmr if they could easily found at a price less than 9mm and .223 (which is where it should be priced).

See less See more
#3 ·
Time to stock up !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.